May
2012
Supermoon, My Ass

Last year, I missed the supermoon. Meaning I had no idea what a supermoon was or why I should give a shit. Then in the days that followed, I saw the pictures. And regretted missing it.

This time, I was ready. I planned my whole day around seeing the supermoon in its rising glory and getting a great picture. Of course, with my photo shoot luck, the weather had other plans. Clouds completely covered the sky all evening. But we stuck with the original plan, to head into the city (to get a photo of the supermoon with D.C. stuff in the foreground), in case the sky cleared.

We arrived early and headed to the WWII Memorial to wait. This was one of the earlier photos of the evening, but already Dave was losing patience with having his picture taken.

No supermoon for you.

The clouds were stubborn but so was I. While I waited for supermoon rising time, I messed around taking fountain pictures.

Every so often, we’d check the sky for the supermoon, but nada. But the weather was pleasant, so we sat at the Memorial even after giving up on the fucking supermoon (not that I was bitter or anything). We sat and talked and watched the fountains. It felt indulgent and relaxing to just hang out there, like we were on vacation and visiting the Trevi Fountain. I guess when a boring old suburban married couple like us bothers to trek 6 long miles into the big bad city and actually finds good parking, well, let’s just say I wanted to make an evening out of it. So we visited my favorite statue before going home.

F.D.R., ShmF.D.R., I’m here for the dog.

When we went out for Chuck’s late night walk, the clouds finally moved enough for us to catch a glimpse of the now-too-high-in-the-sky-to-be-noticeably-super moon. Before I could finish saying, “should I go get the camera,” another cloud blocked it again. Maybe next year.

How was supermoon viewing where you live? Did you get any pictures? I think I’m finally over my disappointment and ready to see some supermoon photos.

, , , ,

10 Responses to “Supermoon, My Ass”

1. paralaxvu
    Friday, May 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

I dunno, if I wanted supermoon photos I could probably go to the NatGeo site (they do have a site, don’t they? Now I gotta go there, if it’s there, to see if it’s there…). I much enjoyed YOUR photos of you, hubby, the fountains and FDR’s dog. Especially you and the dog…it may be a contender for you and the frog–hey, that rhymes! Anyway, I really enjoyed this personal post. Not to sound too 12-steppy, but thanks for sharing;-)

2. Brianna Soloski
    Friday, May 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

No supermoon in Vegas. I live in the suburbs and it wasn’t really visible. Of course, I also didn’t go looking for it all that much. I want to see these things, but sometimes I get lazy.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

I’m super lazy (pun intended), but that’s what was so frustrating about this–I’d bothered to get myself out there, ready to snap an award-winning photo. C’est la vie.

3. Susi
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 at 5:17 am #

I don’t remember much of it, but I do remember that people were crazy and talked about the end of the world. I think that was when there were disasters going on everywhere, floodings and earthquakes and stuff, and people blamed the super moon.

4. curlygeek04
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

This was the first year I ever heard of supermoon. I think maybe it sounds cooler than it is — seeing the space shuttle fly over work was way cooler. We saw the moon around 9 pm walking around our neighborhood — it was a fairly boozy walk as we’d just consumed a bottle of wine. The moon was bright but not overwhelming. Sounds like you had a nice night, without the supermoon.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

Last year I saw some really cool pictures right as the supermoon rose on the horizon–it looked bigger than the buildings in front of it. I wanted to get a picture like that. Oh well, woe is me. I saw the space shuttle for 2 seconds. Better than nothing, but even if I’d had my camera ready there’s no way I would have captured that either. If I’d known about it in advance, I would have brought my camera in and gone to the Mall.

5. Annabelle
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm #

I completely failed to even hear about this or the annular (?) eclipse until afterward. My father, who is an astronomy buff, would be so appalled.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

I wanted to be an astronomer when I was younger…until I realized I’d have to learn physics. My parents bought me a telescope and I couldn’t even find the moon through it (in my defense, no one in my family could find anything through it).

I didn’t even bother with the eclipse.